Who We Are
How It All Began
So Good Candies is the revival of a family-owned chocolate and sweet shop in the small Indiana town of Peru.
The store first opened circa 1900 as Arnold's and was owned by Louis and Gretchen Arnold. In 1960 the store and recipes were purchased by Bob and Jane Haskett. After the Peru store closed in 2004, the recipes were sold to Richard Ford and the Charley Creek Foundation of Wabash, IN.
Fred and Amy (Ploss) Stadtler purchased the recipes from the Charley Creek Foundation in March of 2016. Along with Amy's brother, Rick Ploss, they formed So Good Candies, LLC and opened the doors on November 25, 2016.
Toffee, turtles, fudge, and all the rest…everything from deciphering the recipes written in pencil on brittle, yellowed notebook paper to gathering ingredients using old invoices to testing and tasting has been an amazing labor of love. We are very pleased with the success we’ve had in recreating the original recipes and hope you enjoy the results.
So many people have shared with us their fond memories and wonderful stories of Arnold’s Candies. To know that we’ve brought a smile to their faces has been, by far, the best part of this journey. We are excited to be introducing these special candies to a whole new generation and look forward to what the future brings for So Good Candies.
Get in touch with us today or simply stop by the store!
Come Visit Us for Handcrafted Chocolates and Nostalgic Candy
25 W. 3rd Street Peru, IN 46970
765 327 8080
Tues through Fri: 12pm - 5pm